Looking for the best family Christmas traditions?
When you think about your Christmas growing up what do you remember the most? The memories that seem to last the longest for most of us are those great family Christmas traditions.
What family Christmas traditions are you developing for your kids? I love the concept of traditions, but sometimes it is hard to come up with unique Christmas traditions that will last.
With Christmas right around the corner, here are 25 family tradition ideas to supercharge your Christmas!
1. Wrap 25 books. Kids can open one book each night leading up to Christmas. We just added this to our family Christmas traditions this year and my kids are loving it!
2. Looking for things to do Christmas Eve night? Do a video interview of family members every Christmas Eve.
3. Instead of candy in the Advent Calendar, write notes each day about what you love the most about each child. This has been one of our best family Christmas traditions in our house for years. My kids run to the calendar each day for their love notes.
4. Hide the last presents on Christmas day and make clues as to where your kids can find them.
5. Turn your Elf on a Shelf into a Kindness Elf that helps around the house and notices when your kids do considerate things.
6. Make hot chocolate and cookies and drive around looking at Christmas lights on Christmas Eve.
7. Give matching Christmas pajamas for the whole family on Christmas Eve.
8. Make reindeer food out of dried oats and glitter and have the kids sprinkle it in the backyard on Christmas Eve.
9. Take flour and make Santa footprints on Christmas Eve.
10. Watch Polar Express and drink hot chocolate every Christmas Eve.
11. Take your kids shopping for a toy to donate during the Christmas season.
12. Make a countdown to Christmas paper chain. Take a ring off the chain each day.
13. Make a hot chocolate bar with whip cream and marshmallows.
14. Write a yearly letter to your kids and put it in a clear plastic, fillable ornament ball.
15. Take your kids shopping to buy presents for each other.
16. Have a special dessert or dish you only make on Christmas. I am a big fan of candy bacon. If you haven’t tried it you are missing out!
17. Have a camp out one night under the Christmas tree.
18. Boogie trap the children’s bedroom doors by creating a web of green and red streamers the kids have to break through on Christmas morning.
19. Take a picture each year in front of the tree in the same poses. Keep an ongoing collection for a photo series that shows them growing up.
20. Photocopy your children’s letters to Santa each year and make a book out of them when they are older.
21. Make a red and green paper gratitude chain. Each night leading up to Christmas, each person writes what they are grateful for and adds it to the chain.
22. Have your children make gift coupons for people in the family (e.g. this coupon is good for one complimentary room cleaning).
23. Leave stockings at the foot of your children’s bed to keep them entertain as you catch a few more winks Christmas morning (one can dream)!
24. Give your kids a Christmas bath with a few drops of green food dye or Crayola Color Bath Dropz, candy canes and some holiday decorations all around the tub.
25. Hide christmas chocolate coins in the Christmas dinner.
I feel like I can go on and on! Christmas is about making special family traditions and memories. The gifts and yummy food are just a bonus!
I hope this gives you some unique family tradition ideas to make those memories last a lifetime or at least some ideas for things to do on Christmas Eve!
Do you have your own Christmas family traditions? Share them in the comments below.
Do you know someone who could use some ideas for their Christmas family traditions? Share this article with them.
Other holiday articles: