Parenting an anxious kid is like parenting a different species. Those of you who have anxious kids know what I mean. When you are in the trenches with an anxious kid – you better learn to laugh.
Not sure you have an anxious kid? Here are some tell-tale signs! If my references are lost on you – do a happy dance – ignorance is bliss. If they ring true – don’t worry – you are not alone!
1. your purse is armed with a full medical kit, a complete change of clothes and a portal to escape any unbearable situation.
2. Your heart starts to palpitate and your hands get clammy when you have to tell your child it is time to go.
3. Taking a dump in the bathroom is a family affair – if you don’t know what that means – give yourself a high five – this isn’t about you!
4. You have eighty different styles of ice packs in your freezer and fifteen different boxes of cartoon bandaids.
5. Sleeping in your bed is a full contact family sport. Confused? I envy you!
6. You never worry about whether you are going the wrong way or have a full tank of gas because your kid will alert you to all those little details.
7. You hold your breath and quietly reach for your camera when your child spontaneously approaches another child.
8. You screen movies like Nemo for disturbing themes that will cause your child nightmares for weeks.
9. Your bedtime routine is longer than some novels.
10. Your child is more worried about being on time than you are.
11. When you serve dinner, your meal is inspected, smelled and licked before ingestion.
12. The idea of changing your child’s daily routine gives you heart palpitations.
13. Questions like, “When will I die?” are just part of casual conversation at your house.
14. Going to the doctor or dentist is like preparing for war.
15. You know what Miralax is and you have needed to use it.
16. Your child owns several belongings that – if lost – would cause them to hyperventilate.
17. You have never said something like, “get down from there you might get hurt.”
18. You have no use for child nail clippers – nails are miraculously kept low all on their own.
19. Phrases like, “Come with me!” and “Stay with me!” are theme songs in your house.
20. Your child gets Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome after Halloween – and they didn’t go trick or treating.
How many did you get? 20 out of 20? 15 out of 20? Do you have some signs you’d like to add to my list? I would love to hear them! Leave a comment below and share your tell-tale signs!
More Anxiety Articles
A teen support book on anxiety that your kid will actually read:
If you are at a loss as to how to help your child manage anxiety, take the e-course Teach Your Kids to Crush Anxiety taught by a child therapist. Learn all the tools she teaches kids and teach them to your child. You don’t have to feel powerless.
Tell Me More!